Nicole Davies

Hello! My name is Nicole and I am a Marine spouse and mother of three daughters, ages 16, 10, and 7. I have been a stay-at-home mom most of their lives while also pursuing my Master’s degree in Marriage and Family Therapy. In the past I have worked as a social worker for child welfare in the state of Pennsylvania. I have also taught preschool for ages 2.5 - 4. During my master’s program I interned as a therapist at an inpatient psychiatric hospital working with adults, teens, and kids. My ultimate goal is to become an independently licensed therapist. Our family has lived in Onslow County for 10 of the last 15 years, which has given my children a stability that is rare among military families. While NC has been my home for several years now, I am still a Yankee at heart! I will always choose a Philly cheesesteak over a pulled-pork sandwich. In addition to taking care of my family and my educational pursuits, I enjoy traveling to destinations near and far; a novel in which I can get lost; and chatting with friends over a good cup of coffee.

karen-felix

Elf On The Shelf For Teens

Now that my children are older and are not looking with great anticipation for the arrival of the jolly old man dressed in red, I have been searching for new ideas that we can add to our Christmas traditions to continue to keep the season full of excitement and wonder.  It’s so easy when they are young and everything about the season brings wonderment and joy.

However, it seems like the past few years that I have had to put forth great effort to keep Christmas alive in our hearts.  We were at a family gathering recently and my nephew was telling us a story about his three year old and their Elf on the Shelf.  I miss those days.  I truly enjoy my children and the ages they are now but I do miss some of the simple things about Christmas that make it so memorable.

My daughter picked out every gift she will be receiving this year so the aspect of surprise will definitely be missing.  She has picked out her gifts for the past several years because it cuts out the step of returning most of it after Christmas.  I think someone needs to invent an Elf on the Shelf for Teens.  The person who comes up with this idea will be a marketing genius and an instant success.  I can’t be the only parent out there with this same dilemma.  Let’s get together after Christmas to brainstorm this idea.

As our family celebrates the true reason for the season, I wish for each of you the peace and joy that Christmas brings.  From our family to yours, we wish you a very Merry Christmas.

Anyone have any clever Christmas traditions thats teenagers will actually get excited about?

Bookmark and Share

11 Comments on “Elf On The Shelf For Teens”

• Debbie December 23rd, 2011 7:38 pm

I bought elves, one for each of my four children. (16,17, 18, & 20). I did not buy the elf that comes with the book. I bought sort of wierd ones. I told them the elves had to be named something that begins with the letter of their first names. I told them that I just learned of this game and only had tonight to play this year. they must find their elf in the morning and if it made a mess, they have to clean it up. this sounds so silly, but they were cracking jokes about it and seem excited. I will set the elf adventures tonight. next year, I will have them hide their siblings elves a few times. I think I will stick prizes with the elves sometimes too.

• Karen December 24th, 2011 9:15 am

Dear Debbie,

Thanks for the suggestion. This is a great idea. I never thought of doing the elves for the older kids. I’ll keep that in mind for next year. Have a blessed Christmas.

Karen

• collette culver November 26th, 2012 11:52 am

I first heard about Elf on the Shelf last year so I bought it for my niece. However, I told my two teens (15 and 16) I was going to do Elf on the Shelf this year. They both laughed and said whatever. Also, since they’re older I didn’t feel the need to spend the 40 on the real elf so I went to Home Goods and got one for $14. This morning, my daughter asked what was hanging on her car. :) The 15 year old was all excited and said “Elf on the Shelf”. :) I named him Elmer and he was hanging on her door knob with a note. He wrote all over her car in red and green on every window. Her window said “Let me in please I don’t know the code”. Then to humiliate her totally he wrote “elmer was here” on her back window. She had to drive to school with that on her car. LOL!

I too felt the same as you did. Christmas isn’t fun anymore. Also, I am divorced so of course I can’t afford the extravagant Christmas that their dad gives them every year. I try and do creative stuff instead. They’re allowed to request on specific item and give general ideas about the rest cause I told them they’re making Christmas miserable now so they ask him for the TVs, Ipods, Laptops, etc. When they’re 30 I hope they remember “the year mom was so bored she started Elf on the Shelf for us when we were 16″ more than they’re LCD 36″ TV they’re father is getting them :)

• Jennie December 2nd, 2012 4:40 pm

My boys are 16,20, and 23. My husband and I too miss the awe the boys had when they were younger so we try to do something fun and crazy every year. Even if they think it is corny they like it and talk about it to their friends. Last year we hung sock monkeys all over the tree and the 2 big boys took them back to school with them.:)

This year we bought an elf. The elf is going to behave like a kid brother. He will get into their stuff, change their screen savers to Hello Kitty, borrow their Ids, cologne, phones, etc., turn the milk green, toilet paper the Christmas tree, play spin the bottle with the female action figures I have kept, lift weights on their bench, and just generally get into all their prized possessions. He is even gonna take a pic of them sleeping and tell them he is going to post it on facebook. You get the idea. We are also going to have an international student coming home from college with middle son to stay with us for the holiday break. I will think of some way to get him involved too. Most likely I will blame some of the mischief on him:) Hope that helps.

• funlovinmom December 3rd, 2012 9:00 pm

I too have 4older children (11, 15, 17, 18) who no longer believe and was Sad that the “magic” was coming to an end so I went and bought a really cute Elf this year from “Raz” and named him Emmett Cole. So far, he showed up on the first night with Cash for a tree and a new ornament for each kid, the second night he showed up with the “Elf” movie and a bucket of popcorn and candies for a family movie night, the next night he made “Snownuts” (donuts) for them while they slept and made a huge mess..that was last night and I hadn’t planned anything for tonight because the youngest (11 y/o) is on an overnight field trip, but the 3 older ones are already asking me what Emmett might do tonight…uh oh…I guess I better come up with something quick! :D That’s why I’m on here…trying to figure something out….ahhhh….

• collette culver December 4th, 2012 9:27 am

yes, so far “Eugene” has TPed the tree, locked them upstairs, made a sled out of their maxi pads, drank a whole bottle of “grape juice” and hid in the huge pile of clothes that needed to be folded. He is going to “Elf” my oldest ones car too. Today, he is hacking my daughter’s facebook and since she is grounded she can’t get on to change her new profile picture. LOL!

• Angela December 8th, 2012 11:24 am

My daughter is 17, she claims to be to old for elf on the shelf so we have a small stuffed monkey we refer to as monkey in the house. So far he’s toilet papered her room, used her toilet to do #2, wrapped her fish tank in wrapping pape and put her underwear and bras on the Christmas tree. It’s a little challenge to come up with “older” pranks but she gets a giggle out of it.

• Lisa December 10th, 2012 9:24 am

I have been doing this since the first of December and I have a 16yr old, 14 yr old and two 11 year olds. I took stockings down and hung up their underwear instead, toilet papered the tree, set the elf up playing poker with other animals, elf made “snow” angel with flour on my table, drew funny faces on family photos, wrapped the toilet with wrapping paper, put streamers across their doors so they could not get out. made elf breakfast- colored the pancakes green and added chocolate chips. Elf went on a date and was caught drinking out of the syrup bottle with his date with straws…..

• AJ December 13th, 2012 2:11 pm

This is hilarious, I was just telling a friend that I wish I could get my 17 yr old son into the spirit of Christmas. And she has been doing this for the last three years with her 7 yr old, except with Henry Dimple Dot (from a kids book). I read some of the comments everyone has been making, and now whe wants her Elf and friends to be naughty, since her son has been acting up at school. This would be a good lesson, and something fun for the parents to enjoy, too.

• Cheri December 21st, 2012 3:32 am

I just bought the Elf this year. I have a 13 and 18 year old at home and a 20 year old who just moved out. I’ve been having a lot of fun with it! For example, Jingle was fishing in my 18 year olds aquarium, sitting on the toilet reading the classifieds another morning because the oldest needs to find a different job. Its been so much fun lol They are having a lot of fun with it and so have I. Kind of brings the magic of Christmas back…….

• Jamie Wade December 9th, 2013 1:36 am

I started doing the Elf when my son was younger and at 15 he still comes on Thanksgiving break. I had decided I wasn’t going toshe a big deal but he asked if a Jolly was coming this year so I had to. My son is an ot child and grandchild so Jolly brings him prizes as well. My mom
    Likes to pick things up for a Jolly to bring him. I just put Jolly in the fridge hanging on to his milk with a new book . No we don’t do this everyday…. Depends on what’s going on. We have fine Kollys 12 days of Christmas and it was fun. I don’t think kids are ever too old to enjoy the spirit of the holidays and to make memories!